Make horrid scars and gashes.

10.03.2013

Halloween 2013: Adventures Into Darkness #8 (30 Second Animated Commercial)

Hey, look! It's a Scar Stuff post! Will wonders never cease?

So how's about a super quick roundup and then a little seasonal treat, eh?

Okay! Well the last year of my life has honestly been pretty nuts -- the biggest news is probably that my short film "Catnip: Egress to Oblivion?" got accepted into the Sundance Film Festival and actually ended up winning the audience award for Best Short Film (I know, right? Totally bananas!).

As a result I've really been delving more deeply into various superfun film & video type projects and have a bunch of (spooky & non-spooky) type stuff in the works that I'll probably blab about on here one day or another. Yay!

Ahhhh, you know what? I was gonna write a bunch of other junk here, but that's probably enough catchup, right? I mean if you came here on purpose, you probably came for the creepy -- so let's just dive into this year's quick little Halloween project that I wanna share with the remaining weirdos who dare to darken the ol' decrepit and neglected Scar Stuff doorway.

So here it is! A short & (hopefully) sweet 30 seconds worth of pre-code inspired animation that I made, based on the awesome cover to "Adventures Into Darkness" #8, drawn by Rocco "Rocke" Mastroserio and published by Standard Comics way back in Feb, 1953.

Ever since I was a kid I've always wished that there were (y'know, visually faithful) Saturday morning type cartoons based on precode horror comics, and this is basically a semi-riff on that idea. You know what I mean, kind of a "What if 1950's horror comics had commercials?" type thing to start easing you into the season and all.

"Adventures Into Darkness" 30 Second Spot (Issue #8, Feb 1953) from Jason Willis on Vimeo.

And thaaaaaaaaat's it! Short as it might I had a lot of fun cooking this up, so I hope you guys dig it. Oh and hey, here's to a Happy (month of) Halloween, 2013!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Jimmy Combs said...

Great little video. I check Scar Stuff every Halloween, ever since I downloaded all of those records years ago. I listen to them every Halloween (and sometimes during the year). Thank you so much for them. Blogging might me dead but Scar Stuff keeps climbing out of the grave!

10/05/2013 8:17 AM

 
Blogger Anthony Heer said...

Well, I can't say much more that Jimmy didn't say, since he already said everything I would have. LOL So let me just tell you thanks, For everything you've ever posted and continue to do. Halloween wouldn't be the same without what you have done. I was lucky enough to grab everything you posted back then.

10/06/2013 1:49 PM

 
Blogger Pik-Cor said...

More, more, more! And congrats on the CatNip short!

10/11/2013 6:42 AM

 
Anonymous Ryan D. said...

Such an entertaining, stylish, and insightful short! Loved it. The Rodriguez/Tarantino crowd will love it! I'm in Michigan so the Sishigan, MI thing is funny! Like the creepy 30 second promo too.

10/16/2013 9:54 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Well done! I love that first creep with the funky hip bone. You're my favorite blogger of all time! All the sounds you've posted continue to inspire me every time they come on my mp3 player, which is about ten times a day.

11/26/2013 9:00 AM

 
Anonymous Jimmy Combs said...

Hey, Jason! How about a 2014 update. It's Halloween you know.

10/27/2014 6:28 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Right you are, sir! 2014 Halloween update coming later today.

10/27/2014 7:12 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Halloween 2015 Images Pictures Quotes
Scary Halloween Games For Kids

10/09/2015 12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home