Make horrid scars and gashes.

10.27.2007

Mail Order Monsters

Hey everyone! Well this week has been a lot crazier than I thought it would be, but I'm still planning on getting my act together enough to post a few more pre-Halloween audio goodies. In the meantime however I figured I'd issue a stop-gap in the form of some visual treats, specifically several scans I've made of (mostly) monster-related mail order items from the 1960's.

Some background: The majority of these come from Charlton Press' "Mad Monsters" & "Horror Monsters" magazines, and a smaller percentage are from even less common mags like "Modern Monsters" (Prestige Publications), "3-D Monsters" ("Fair Publishing" -- actually Myron Fass!) and "Monster Mania"(Renaissance Productions).

Warren Publications and the Captain Company are represented by a few pages from "Monster World" & "Spacemen" (most of the "Spacemen" ones are at the end of page 4 -- some cool stuff I'd love to check out there), but for the most part I tried to avoid the big guns (Famous Monsters, Creepy, Eerie, etc) since many of those ads are readily available online (case in point: here's a great Flickr set.)

I also avoided using anything from the 1970's (Monster Times, Castle of Frankenstein, House of Hammer, etc etc), but I bet I eventually break down & just start scanning everything in. That's how this stuff always starts, isn't it? Anyway, enjoy!


Monster Magazine Ads from the 1960's

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man! I love this stuff! Had never seen over half of these before and I'm no stranger to monster ads. "the cult of horror" is my new desktop background!

10/27/2007 5:16 PM

 
Blogger J.R. Williams said...

I remember a lot of these...I even had some of the actual toys, etc., once upon a time. you can see full-color reproductions of the "Weird-o & Monster Krazy Labels" (029.jpg) here:
http://www.imageinvention.com/impko.html

10/27/2007 7:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice.... very nice. Seeing these ads, I wonder how many kids expectations were met once they received their orders? Funny to see the ones with the 8mm films... I still have several of these. Those met my expectations!

Say.... what about rips of the "Horror" and "Fright" Lps from Taylor?

Great Halloween!

10/28/2007 10:22 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

It's like you read my mind -- check the newest post for the complete Taylor/ Poe series.

10/28/2007 10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my friend are brilliant!

Thanks so much!

10/28/2007 10:30 AM

 
Blogger TheMadBlonde said...

Wow, music from the planet Saturn & a $1 record player. One wonders what kind of sound THAT produced?

11/06/2007 9:30 AM

 
Blogger The Anti Nazi said...

Thanks for all these fantastic shares! I just created a new blog "The Fun Factory" and would appreciate adding me to your blogroll. I have two shares up at this time but they are not found anywhere else so check it out -

http://joybuzzer.wordpress.com/

Thankz.

1/22/2008 3:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home