Make horrid scars and gashes.

10.05.2006

Nelson Olmsted "Sleep No More! Famous Ghost and Horror Stories" (Vanguard, 9008, 1956), "Edgar Allan Poe: Tales of Terror" (Vanguard, 1956)

A pair of LPs released in a few different formats over the years (as stand-alone albums in the '50's, and then as a double record set in the '60's & '70's), these recordings are culled from the popular NBC radio show that Olmsted narrated from '52 to '56. Largely excellent and highly literary adaptations of famous works that are allowed to unravel in 8 to 9 minute vignettes, I think Olmsted's voice and tone will seem especially well suited to the medium among OTR enthusiasts (who will also find a familiar and more languid sense of pacing evident here). Cool stuff!


Link Removed


Link Removed

10 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Yet another jewel. Thanks!
dave

10/05/2006 5:03 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Man, I've been looking for these albums for years! The public library had them when I was a kid, and I rememberr checking them out many, many times -- great stories and what a voice! Thanks for posting this stuff, and keep up the great work!

10/14/2006 10:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My siblings and I listened to Tales of Terror alot! I would love to get this download; unfortunately the link seems be broken. I will check back.

This is an excellent LP with mostly Edgar Allen Poe stories narrated by Olmsted.

1/01/2007 7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also tried to download but the link didn't work. I would gladly pay for these recordings. I, too, remember these from my youth when my neighbor would pipe the stories outside on Halloween.

6/21/2007 2:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I tried to download it, but the link is broken :(

I love 'Sleep no more' - too bad it was such a short series, it was so well done.

7/13/2007 6:59 AM

 
Blogger The Data Jockey said...

Link still broken. Hope your out there somewhere... I love this stuff!

10/08/2007 10:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STILL not working. Can you reload this? Or e-mail it to me (harlock_ssx@yahoo.com)

2/27/2008 11:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please upload these again, and thanks for all the great albums you have here!!!!

3/30/2008 9:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please RE UP ;)

12/13/2008 5:02 PM

 
Anonymous sukey tawdry said...

I have this record, "Sleep No More!", and it's fantastic. I never get tired of listening to Olmsted read "The Mummy's Foot," "What Was It?" or "The Body Snatcher": "The more things are wrong, the more we must act as if all were right."

6/05/2010 4:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home