Make horrid scars and gashes.

8.19.2006

Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids "Halloween" (Kid Stuff, 1980)

Ahh, the respected Kid Stuff label! Home to previous Scar Stuff fave Pink Panther Punk (not to mention the These Records Are Bent champ "Pinball Wizard and other Elton John Hits", and the amazing "Mostly Ghostly" LP of sound effects, some of which is being shared by Cake & Polka Parade -- I'll post the rest eventually if no one else jumps on it first), the label simply exudes cheapness with its expediently produced cash-in product.

To wit: this 22 minute Fat Albert album that would seem to merely be a vinyl pressing of the soundtrack to a TV show. No extra narration, no real attempts to place the story in a non-visual context (you could argue that the LPs that correspond to the Peanuts TV specials at least gave it a shot for example), just a steady stream of "hair-raising sound effects" for that ol' theatre of the mind.

And hey, you just might learn something too!


Link Removed

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr.Terror said...

Hey, Hey, Hey what can I say. Another fantastic post.

8/19/2006 5:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this show!

Do you happen to have Walt Disney's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and Rip Van Winkle"? The one I'm thinking of is different from Kiddie Records offering.
This one is labelled:
Label: DISNEYLAND RECORDS 1285 1969

Thanks for the great stuff!

Sallie

8/19/2006 5:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Awesome. I've been waiting for this one for a while now. Thanks Jason!

BTW Sallie - I have that Disney LP you asked about, and will be sharing it here soon:

Forbidden Crypts Of Music


Dave

8/19/2006 8:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again, Jason! Smiled through the whole thing (and got a craving for popcorn balls and Kool-Ade)! That was pretty cheesy of Kid Stuff to just lay down the soundtrack to the Halloween special. If you want to see that 1977 special, it is available on DVD.

8/21/2006 10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Hey!

I remember watching this special when I was a kid. I couldn't believe it when I found a sealed copy in a shop in San Fransisco. I couldn't wait to play it! It was just like I remember. I'm a teacher, and I took it to school for Cartoon & Comics Week. My kids got a real kick out of it. Now I have all the Fat Albert Holiday Specials on tape, but I will admit, sometimes I just like to sit and listen to the record, using my imagination.

Thanks Jason!

6/24/2007 8:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got this.

11/02/2007 4:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home