Make horrid scars and gashes.

2.01.2006

Bill Watkins "Space Love" b/w "Sandman of Love" (Allied, 195?)

Found at a thrift store within a week of my 1992 move to Tucson, I still know pretty much nothing about this record (except that it pops up for sale on line from time to time). When I first played it I thought that the flip ("Sandman of Love") was a listenable enough example of early Doo-Wop and all, but good LORD the A-side ("Space Love") just floored me. Otherwordly and somewhat out of tune, it moves with a lumbering tempo that always manages to lure me into a haze each time I play it. Where the hell are you now Bill Watkins? And who was in "Rosco Porter's Orchestra"?



Links Removed

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Space Love is wonderful! It's a very visual song, both lyrically and musically ethereal. I could see this being used in a horror film to great effect. Thanks for sharing!

3/18/2006 1:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the zip doesn't open.

5/19/2009 12:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great song,thanks for posting it.

9/11/2009 5:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a great great uncle named bill watkins who was a rockabilly & country singer in the 50s' but this really doesn't sound like him... such a mystery

9/18/2010 4:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, very much, these are great songs, by Bill Watkins.

7/01/2011 11:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home