Make horrid scars and gashes.

9.20.2006

Kraft "A Spooky Sounding Halloween Story" (Kraft Flexi, 1978)

A three and a half minute Kraft promotional flexidisc from the late 1970's which throws together a round of safety tips ("Don't go into a stranger's home, wear a bright reflective costume so that you can be seen at night", all also printed on the back of the flexi and included in the zip file) under the guise of a short and somewhat non-linear haunted house story (the "secret of Halloween" is revealed in an old trunk? Huh?). Waiting until the very end to sneak their commercial message in, a vampire's voice finally reminds all the kids listening to "wait 'til you get home to try Halloween treats, and eat Kraft wrapped candies". Interestingly enough, it was around the time of this flexi's release that I stopped getting homemade popcorn balls, cookies & cupcakes on my neighborhood Halloween rounds as a kid (still thankfully "pre-Tylenol Scare" on the Grand Halloween Timeline though, now there was a bleak year for Trick-or-Treaters.)




Links Removed

9 Comments:

Blogger Mark Harvey said...

Kudos!

Great site, great content,just plain GREAT!

Thank you a thousand times!

Mark Harvey

9/20/2006 2:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One question dude ... are you "mrmtn9"? Cuz you got a lot of the same stuff as that soulseeker.

9/20/2006 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

No, it might just be someone who has grabbed all the files from the site or something though.

9/20/2006 6:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff as always! By the way
would you happen to have The Folktellers "Chiller"? When our local library used to have albums..I had checked it out and recorded it but have since lost the damned thing. It had some very good ghost stories on there and I always loved the "Mr. Fox" story.

9/21/2006 6:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks once again! This is an item I never heard of... but it sounds like something well worth a "spin" for the season.

9/21/2006 6:52 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Meatcleaver63: Yeah, I was planning on adding that Folktellers album soon -- that thing has a genuinely creepy vibe at times!

9/21/2006 7:20 AM

 
Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team said...

Jason, you are the man!!! I have been searching for this for years, because I used to be a chemist at Kraft. (I know, my soul is forever doomed for doing so.) Man, you just have the best stuff. I keep that photo of your organized collection in my files to inspire me to rebuild since the flood. Thanks for all the great sharity, guy!

9/28/2006 12:36 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Katya: That is simply too fucking cool. Thanks for the compliments -- I'm both astounded & gratified that someone was actually actively looking for this flexi! Too great.

10/01/2006 4:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just discovered your site and it's pretty much the best thing on the planet.

10/05/2008 2:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home