Make horrid scars and gashes.

9.24.2006

The Folktellers (Connie Regan & Barbara Freeman) "Chillers" (Mama T Artists, MTA-2, 1983)

Recorded live on Halloween by cousins Barbara Freeman and Connie Regan (now Connie Regan-Blake), this 1983 LP (an American Library Association "Notable Record") has some genuinely creepy moments to it. Through both the live audience format and their folksy skill, both Connie & Barbara end up weaving a vividly intimate spell with these tales (which are both traditional and penned by other authors; Molly Garrett Bang, Lee Pennington, Julia Ruth Richardson, Jack Prelutsky), and there's ultimately a more mature feel here than I'd initially expected. At turns funny, gruesome and grim, the longer pieces (Connie's mostly) might be particularly well suited to fireplace or candlelight listens should you find yourself being aurally seduced.

Note: Connie Regan-Blake also has a more recent CD of frightening tales that's worth checking out, and it includes studio re-tellings of two of these stories.


Link Removed

11 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Yet another LP I've been looking for since finding your website. It just never shows up on ebay. The Folktellers do now and then, but never this particular LP. Thanks!
Dave

9/24/2006 12:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.
Here is Sandra from Germany. CHILLERS is so cool. :-)
Im a Spooky Sounds of Halloween Fan and for this year i hve made too a Spooky Sound CD that you can find at:
http://www.spookysounds.de.vu

I hope that you post many other Spooky Sounds LPs and CDs on this site Jason. I love your site.
Greatings from Germany.
Ah. Take a look at my Haunted Balcony in Hamburg, Germany:

http://www.hauntedbalcony.de.vu

9/24/2006 1:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A thousand thank yous!!!!!!!

9/25/2006 4:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason, great stuff, I hadn't heard this one. I thought it was a little on the "NPR" side at first but then that messed-up story about the dead kids and the bloody oatmeal was really creeping me out.

Love it! Thanks again.

9/26/2006 6:33 AM

 
Blogger Sin Trader said...

Thanks so much for all the work you do, I made sure to plug your site on my blog. You rock!

9/28/2006 6:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Thank You Jason! I love this site and check it religiously to see what treasures you will post next.
Is there any chance you have the Boris Karloff LP with Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle? I've been looking for that one for a while now.
Keep up the great work!

9/28/2006 9:41 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

I'm honestly not sure what's going on, I'll see what the story is.

9/28/2006 7:49 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/28/2006 11:09 PM

 
Blogger Dave said...

I just posted Boris Karloff's Sleepy Hollow And Rip Van Winkle here:

Boris Karloff Tales Of Mystery & Imagination

9/28/2006 11:11 PM

 
Blogger Michael Floyd said...

I have a signed record with her and her accomplice from the early 80's. It is called WHipporwhills or something.....

9/26/2007 9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Connie Regan-Blake said...

How great to see this Chillers LP! My storyteller partner Barbara and I recorded this 25 years ago and it's great to see that it has a life... online!
I have a CD of my scary stories, "Chilling Ghost Stories" - a re-release of "Spirits Walk." It's available on my website. http://www.StoryWindow.com

Thanks,
Connie

12/16/2009 10:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home