Make horrid scars and gashes.

8.28.2006

Bob McFadden And Dor "Songs Our Mummy Taught Us" (BL 754056, 1959)

An album of spooky-themed Novelty Pop from 1959 (with a hit single that even mentions "Kookie Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb"!), this was a studio collaboration between the late Bob McFadden (a gifted voiceover actor whose list of accomplishments is impressive indeed) & pop-poet phenom Rod McKuen. Many of you have probably heard one or two of the songs here, or are at least familiar with their descendants ("The Mummy" was most excellently covered by The Fall on 1997's "Levitate", and "The Beat Generation" served as partial muse for Richard Hell's "Blank Generation" circa 1974), but for some reason, superfine as it may be, the whole album has never received the full-on deluxe reissue treatment. Well, guess what? This post isn't gonna completely get the job done either -- my rip is missing their version of "Hound Dog" & sadly it was only encoded at 128 kbps. However in the service of archiving that glorious moment in time when it was possible to score a hit single through the simultaneous mocking of monsters and beatniks, it's a damn good start. Like, "help".


Link Removed

10 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Totally awesome. I've been waiting on this one a long time. I think it is the Lp I was searching for when I found your Spooky Scary Stories web page. Thanks! I'll keep a look out for that missing single. They show up now and then on ebay.
Dave

8/28/2006 10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like the rip I got from somebody else last October. You actually do have Hound Dog, but it's titled "More Sing-along with the Mummy" or something similar. It's track 8.

8/29/2006 2:48 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

You're right, Chris! I had an earlier rip that was worse (& missing a few more tracks) before my friend sent me this one & I got them confused. I'll break that file into two at some point & re tag everything. Thanks!

8/29/2006 4:41 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Cool Chris. I noticed that title on the track list, and wondered what it was.

BTW - off-topic but des anyone know what is up with Zombie astromaut? His website is MIA.
Dave

8/29/2006 10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I've got this one ripped in 128 kbps, but I also have "Hound Dog". Is there any way I can get it to you?

8/29/2006 6:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ... chris says you've got it after all, and it is merely tagged improperly. Nevermind!

8/30/2006 3:58 AM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

Crazy. I was looking for this album last week! Thanks for posting it.

8/30/2006 8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zombie astronaut has a new web address:

www.zombieastronaut.net

Dan

10/11/2006 3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!

Bob McFadden is famous here in Brazil too!

Hugs from SÃo Paulo, the most crazy city of world!

5/17/2007 5:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOR must mean ROD McKuen. YES IT IS TRUE. This has been explained in the Dr. Demento album set booklet.

10/30/2008 4:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home