Make horrid scars and gashes.

4.04.2006

Don Hinson And The Rigamorticians "Monster Dance Party" (Capitol, 5314,1964)

In the post Bobby Pickett "Monster Mash" sweepstakes there were more entries than most people remember (many of them surprisingly cool), and one of the more briefly successful was Vegas radio deejay Don Hinson's "Monster Dance Party" album. Like the Mash it was produced by Gary Paxton, and while the album's don't-fuck-with-the-formula goal is mostly to be a collection of dance numbers (titles include "Monster Jerk", "Do the Rigormortis", "Werewolf Watusi", etc), it's probably best remembered these days for the single "Riboflavin Flavored, Non Carbonated, Poly-Unsaturated Blood" which was aptly covered by ghoulish punkers (and ex-Consumers) 45 Grave in the early '80's. While "Riboflavin..." is a standout, there's still no shortage of other tasty songs on here (in fact though he's referenced by name in the lyrics on Hinson's version, Bobby Pickett even covered the Paxton penned "Monster Swim" himself and released it a little later in '64), and like many other novelty sessions in the Capitol vaults the whole record is probably long overdue for a reissue. That's right Sundazed records, I'm looking at you.

And where is Mr Hinson now? Well according to retired actor and musician Tom Nerdy, "Don is now in Branson, Missouri and he works occasionally as a stand up comic. He was a deejay in Los Angeles for more than 20 years". And so it would seem to be.


Link Removed

15 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Man, that's a great cover. Reminds me of the art in "Yellow Submarine". Could it be the same artist(s)?

I've always wondered what Boris Karloff thought of all the songs that came out in the early 60s that featured people imitating his voice.

4/04/2006 10:24 AM

 
Blogger Ill Folks said...

Great Grab! Some of these horror things are harder to find than entrails of troubled horse.

Karloff performed "Monster Mash" on SHINDIG, but this seems to be lost, and not even on bootlegs of the show. Very weird. Stephen, I think he had a genial sense of humor about the whole monster fad. I recall his only objection to Bobby "Boris" Pickett was, "I don't lisp!"

Which was similar to JFK saying of Vaughn Meader, "He sounds more like Bobby."

Funnier was Peter Lorre finding himself out-Lorre'd by Paul Frees in a memorable Spike Jones radio segment. Like most impressionists, Frees highlighted and enhanced the traits we've come to associate with Lorre's voice. Then it was up to Lorre to keep pace with the imitation!

4/04/2006 11:00 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Totally awesome. I've been trying to find this LP for months now. Thanks once again.

Speaking of Paul frees I have an LP that I've not had time to post yet called "Paul Frees And The Poster People" in which Frees sings several pop songs in the voice of many other well known celebes such as Peter Lorre, W. C. Fields, etc.

4/04/2006 12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, another good one! I had this one as a cassette tape, so it must have been reissued sometime in the early '80s. Happy to have a digital version.

4/04/2006 5:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! My copy is badly damaged. Now I can finally hear it!

4/04/2006 8:24 PM

 
Blogger BenT said...

thanks. This is one I needed.

4/04/2006 8:30 PM

 
Blogger Dr.Terror said...

Love the Monster music, and this is another really good one too!!

Always great stuff.

Thanks

Dr.Terror

4/04/2006 10:12 PM

 
Blogger laura aura & the shoy shoy boy said...

Hi Jason... been loving the blog for a few months now and I have a little blog that features a Q&A with me harassing those I admire...

I was wondering if you'd be interested?

Website: http://www.theshoyshoyboy.blogspot.com

let me know:

lauraauraandtheshoyshoyboy@hotmail.com

4/05/2006 8:52 AM

 
Blogger Tiki-Tim said...

Fantastic Album....Thanks for all the Halloween Music...

4/05/2006 3:26 PM

 
Blogger Riley said...

This is awesome,Jason!

4/10/2006 3:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that you the link to download this was removed...I was wondering if there is anyway I could download the album? I am trying to find music for a halloween party i am making for my ESL students in the czech republic

lifeisapainting@yahoo.com

9/26/2008 1:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man I realy really want to hear this album,can you help.
if you have any info please let me know.
adamdneal@hotmail.com

4/16/2009 1:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://creativetechs.com/iq/classic_halloween_vinyl_records_on_mp3s.html

9/26/2009 7:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That link is useless, it just takes me back to the page with the link to this page. Isn't there any way to get this album. I really need it. thanks.

10/25/2009 2:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complete mono version is available (as of 9/16/14) on Grooveshark.

9/16/2014 8:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home